What's Next?


Off course, once I find success with my venture concept, I will want to expand. This could be done in several ways…
-          Similar products, new market
-          New products, existing market
-          New products, new market (would be the most radical change, so I would likely avoid this)
Choosing which direction to go would largely be based on environmental factors and customer feedback.

Existing Market. 

Interview #1: The main suggestion I got from this interview was to use my existing infrastructure to deliver other products to athletes. We discussed possibly creating an automated delivery system for other (non-meal) goods, such as athletic tape. With this, I would create partnerships with other companies, fostering more growth as an online retailer for all things “athlete lifestyle”.

Interview #2: We talked about ways to foster greater connection between the brand and the customers, namely by providing other nutrition-related services for athletes. These could include nutrition seminars (perhaps online at first), cooking classes, and cookbooks to make things on your own. With this approach, my business would act as a one stop shop for everything fitness and food.

Resulting Plan:  Based on my own expectations and the feedback I received from customers, I have come up with a very tentative path to expand my venture in my existing market.

As my first expansion, I would create a few electronic products: an e-book with cooking/grocery tips, a few recipes, and meal prep ideas; and a video series about performance nutrition. This would add revenue drivers and offer more value to existing customers.

If this is successful, and lots of people are aware of my service, I will…
Create a cookbook. This would offer yet another revenue driver, and it would allow me to expand my channels of distribution. It would offer more value to existing customers, and it would attract more athletes who enjoy cooking on their own. The meal delivery service and the cookbook could mutually benefit each other, as people who like my recipes may consider buying the pre-cooked meals, and people who like the meals may also want extra recipes to make.
Incorporate live performance nutrition seminars and cooking classes, which would be held at events attracting athletes. To make them more exciting to customers, I would bring in well-known elite athletes to talk about their diet.
As more and more athletes find out and use my service, I will create partnerships and offer other things besides food, overall promoting athletes to live their best, healthiest, and most successful life.

New Market.

New Market: Kids! Or rather their parents who do not want to pack lunches and cook for them.

How my venture concept will create value for my new market:
So many parents have trouble feeding their children healthy food, and my venture is here to change that. I will create a new meal delivery brand in my company that provides dinners and packed lunches geared toward kid’s nutritional needs and dietary preferences.

Interview 1: I interviewed a working mom who wants her kids to eat well but is too busy to cook for them all the time. Usually, when they get home from school, they fill up on snacks available in the pantry. They typically do not enjoy the food she makes for her and her husband, and she often finds herself picking up fast food for them on the way home when they have sports practice, and she usually has to spend extra time making something special for the kids on other nights. Packing lunches is a whole different story. She believes a meal delivery service would be an immense time and energy saver, and she thinks her kids would enjoy having homemade food ready for them when they want it.

Interview #2: For this interview, I reflected on my childhood eats with a friend. We talked about important features of the service and example meals…

Example meals:
·       Burrito bowls with fresh vegetables, homemade sauces
·       Whole grain focaccia grilled cheese with veggies and dipping sauce
·       Flatbread pizzas with fresh vegetables
·       Pastas including protein and veggies
·       Soups
·       Breakfast dinner night (ex: waffles/pancakes made with whole grain oats and fresh fruit compote)
·       Healthier desserts – something for kids to look forward to

Pre-prepped lunches to pack
·       Wraps, grain salads, pasta salads, etc.
·       Sides of fruit
·       Healthy snack bars (perhaps partner with other start-up healthy snack companies)
·       Whole food snack mixes
·       Yogurt parfaits with fun mix-ins
Allergen friendly options
Different portion sizes
Easy to heat up/prepare so older kids can do it themselves
Satisfying enough for sophisticated adult palettes, fun enough for kids

Reflect:
Basically, I learned that this market may be even more attractive than my existing market, as there is a huge customer base of people with the unmet need discussed. Plus, there is a lot of room for expansion.

The service would work similarly as it does for athletes, but delivery days would be altered to fit the school week, and marketing would be extremely different. Many of my assumptions agreed with things people discussed in interviews. It is also important to note that no service like this exists! Overall, this expansion could give my venture a whole new purpose and path to success.


Comments

  1. Hi Leah!

    O wow! I totally agree with you on your new market! It's so funny how this assignment really got us thinking! As a parent (when my kids were young), I would have loved to have something like what you are talking about! Awesome job coming up with that market. Kids are always in sports and really could benefit from healthy meals!

    V/r,

    Elizabeth Fullwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah.
    Great job in your " What's Next" post. You have really demonstrated a lot of informative information in this blog post. I really liked how you gather information from others in this sector of the market that you are trying to penetrate. I agree with your one statement that you made, this market is something that is very valuable and something to continue to purse. Thanks for sharing your concept!
    Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leah,
    I loved the great detail you provided in your post. Specifically, the meal example ideas you had for your business were awesome. All of those different meals sound great and I would definitely buy it if this business was a reality. I also thought your interviews were relevant and provided a great information. Overall I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah!
    I really like that you choose kids as a new market. I think many parents are too busy to pack their kids’ lunches everyday and who knows what the lunch at school has in it. At the store parents can only buy highly processed food for their children's lunches if they don’t want to spend the time to cook and pack something, so I think that this expansion to your business is a good alternative for people who want their kids to have a balanced diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah,

    I am impressed with your e-cookbook idea and think, with your already expansive (and expanding) culinary knowledge, you could leverage your experience with your blog and with this startup to sell that product. I am also impressed at your idea of children as a new market. I think that is a great plan because, while you would be competing with school lunch programs, if you offered lower rates or better value with your meals, you could gain revenues by targeting that market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leah,

    Reading your product makes me hungry and the items you listed sound delicious so I have no doubt that I would buy your product at the right price. I liked your idea about the online cookbook that people could order from because I have trouble deciding when I have no options and I have to come up with something to eat and a book with pictures and descriptions along with the nutrient facts will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leah,

    As usual, this post and your plan for what is next is very well thought out. I have no doubt that your entrepreneurial idea has a lot of potential. I can definitely see it working with your initial target market. However, I thought that you new market is very creative as well. I feel that this would be true especially for kids who are also athletes. What I think is particularly special about your idea is that you use your own knowledge to continue to improve upon it and that you are obviously very passionate about it. You have a lot of good ideas and you should continue to develop them. I myself would really enjoy your products.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts