Growing Your Social Capital


1)      Blaire Wolski MS, RD, LD
a.       Wolski is a licensed and registered performance dietician at the University of Florida
b.       Domain Expert – she is extremely knowledgeable in what (and when) athletes should eat to maximize their performance potential
c.       I found Blaire through the nutrition department for University of Florida athletics. I spoke with her in person at the Hawkins center (the student athlete academic building on campus).
d.       During our meeting, I explained my business concept and she gave me great feedback! I was expecting that she could help formulate meal plans for my target market – busy athletes.
e.       Including Wolski in my network will allow me to create meals that are truly fit for athlete’s dietary needs, using her extensive knowledge and expertise on performance nutrition.

2)      Jennifer Rubio
a.       Jennifer is an is a food and resource economics major with a focus in marketing at UF. She also interns for aha Pure Foods, a vegan soup company based here in Gainesville. Her duties include conducting market research for the brand, and this has helped her become greatly acquainted with health-conscious consumers in Florida.
b.       Market Expert – she has conducted market research in the health food industry
c.       I am also an intern at aha Pure Foods (I work on the creative side), so it was pretty easy to simply have a conversation with Jennifer about my business idea.
d.       I talked to Jennifer about my meal delivery service, and she offered some great insights. Our conversation was pretty quick, but she had some practical advice, especially relating to the economic side of things.
e.       As a friend and someone with a lot of knowledge on food and my market, Jennifer would readily available to assist with the logistics of exploiting this opportunity.

3)      Alfie Crescentini
a.       Alfie is the executive chef and co-founder of aha Pure Foods.
b.       Supplier – as of now, Alfie personally supplies aha Pure Foods soup to the buyers, including Lucky’s market. aha Pure Foods also ships to health-conscious consumers across the southeastern United States. The starting location of my business idea and some consumer attributes (caring about the food you put in your body, for example) overlap between aha’s target market (millennial moms) and my prototypical consumers.
c.       I met Alfie through my internship at aha Pure Foods.
d.       I explained my idea to Alfie, and he offered to answer any questions I have about starting a food based business!
e.       Having Alfie in my social network can be a great resource, as he has a wealth of knowledge about making food taste good (he is a chef!) and starting a business from the ground up.

4)      Reflection:
This networking experience was definitely different than other networking opportunities I have had in the past. Mainly, I have tried to make “professional connections” with people at career fairs, organized events, and other similar networking experiences. In these situations, I feel more like the “interviewee” than someone seeking certain information from others. This activity was also very different than connecting with people through LinkedIn or email, as you actually had a lengthy conversation with them in person.

Comments

  1. Hi Leah, your blog post was very clear and concise like always. I am somewhat surprised but at the same time I am not by the amount of connections you made through UF and Gainesville itself. Because I am a first year, I have not been able to develop these connections like you have through internships and getting to know people but I am hoping to change this as I progress through my journey at UF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah! I think you did a very well job on this assignment. You have clear, special individuals and great connections with each one. I have not developed relationships like this yet however this has inspired me to really try and find those connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Leah. I think the three people you spoke to are great sources! You were able to get some vital information from them, and good job on finding such valuable people to gain knowledge from. I wish you had gone into a little more detail of the advice and expertise they gave you, as I'd love to know their thoughts on your service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah!

    Sounds like your internship was quite beneficial for this class! I was lucky enough to work in a Sleep Clinic and also utilize advantageous network connections. Your connections were great, and I love how 2 of them are UF! Go Gators! The fact that you were able to interview a Co-founder of a business is really cool!

    V/r,

    Elizabeth Fullwood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leah,

    I really respect that you went out and found people that are here at UF and currently doing something with business that could help you with your own product. I usually refer to people I know back home for the assignments because I feel like they are easier to talk to but I wanted to ask how you get in contact with these important people and set up times to talk to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leah,

    I think that it is really neat that you are able to have really important social connections at your fingertips. I think that it is awesome that you have people that you can reach out to and get a response fairly quickly. I think that you had a really interesting mix of people; more diverse than I have previously seen. I think that they all contribute a very different but very integral perspective.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts